We currently only accept cash, cheque & PayBox.

Search
  • Dr. Eliott Reich

My dog ate Marijuana, what now?!

 So, you come home to find that your dog ate your stash of hash - what now?!



Well, usually your dog won't eat the actual marijuana plant, but edibles that have been baked using marijuana. 

With the rising consumption of marijuana for medical and recreational use, the number of pets admitted to the emergency room with drug intoxications rises along with it.

I see more and more cases, mainly of dogs, with strong symptoms of toxicosis (intoxication) including:

inability to stand and walk properly/ incoordination (ataxia)

vomiting (emesis)

dilated pupils (mydriasis)

muscle twitches and trembling (tremor)

urinary incontinence

slow heart rate (bradycardia)

lethargy/ altered mental state (stupor)

Even though most of these symptoms will usually disappear after a while, these symptoms can cause dangerous side effects.

For example, multiple cases have been reported of dogs choking and suffocating on their vomit.

I recommend that you seek veterinary care immediately. Your veterinarian will assess your dog's current health status and treat it accordingly.

If you seek your vet's help fast enough (up to about 1 hour), your veterinarian can induce emesis (vomiting) and orally give your pet active charcoal (to absorb the toxin). 

Afterwards the patient will usually receive an IV-fluid treatment and be monitored until he can be released. 

The cost of such a treatment can quickly amount to a few hundred dollars, which is why I strongly recommend that you keep your weed to yourself. 

If you have any question related to your pet's health and well-being, I invite you to send me a message at www.Israeli.Vet

Your Israeli Vet,


Dr. Eliott Reich


0 views